Friday, November 26, 2010

Article Response: Growing Up Digital, Wired for Distraction

I find that this is one of the most conflicting subjects of the 21st century: whether or not to support technology, especially when it deals with the children in society. So often, people are divided between whether or not to support technology being used in our school system. Many, like several teachers at Woodside High School, believe that technology is ruining the attention spans of children, and is distracting, thus meaning that they will not focus on their school work and creating a wholesome future. Other people like the principal at Woodside; David Reilly, believe that the only way to truly teach the children and reach them on more than just an academic level, but actually get them interested and anxious to learn is to expose them to as much technology as possible. The fact is however that while both sides may have valid points, each backed by scientific evidence, they are both radical points of view. Unfortunately, most things in our society that are radical are unappreciated, highly criticized and often quite closed minded, and frankly, in my opinion just plain wrong. In our world most things must come in moderation. Applying this to technology : too much technology will detract from the classic and proven learning experience, while too many restrictions on technology creates a hostile environment for students, and restricts their will to learn. I believe that it cannot be written in stone that every child should have "this much" techonology involved in their learning processes and homework methods. Some kids may need to use technology to aid them in their studies, while others may not need it at all but prefer to use it for purely recreational purposes. It all depends on the child, and the parents that are raising them. Limits must be placed that are proportional to control habits on the child. If a child is able to maintain a 90+ average while playing video games or surfing the web for hours a night, then let it be. That child will obviously be a very good multitasker and will be able to handle such a workload. Other children might be able to maintain a 90+ average without playing video games, but with the addition of such forms of media their average and focus may drop significantly. I believe that it should be the responsiblity of the parents, but more so the child to learn "the ways of the real world" and know what self limits he/she needs to set for himself/herself.

This however, is only scraping the surface of the whole issue. There are so many other factors that contribute to this ever growing debate. I believe that like Vishal, I have trouble sometimes prying myself off of my playstation 3 (not so much computer) and going full throttle into my homework. This however only happens on the weekends. I am able to control myself and know that when I have something to do (i.e. an upcoming test, project or assignment) I am able to organize my time effectively and not only finish my homework, but more often than not schedule some time for relaxation (a.k.a. video games, tv, or social media). I like I use technology as a reward for myself. I believe that if more kids had this mentality as well as self control there would not be so many problems. I personally feel fulfilled when I complete a lot of homework and then still have an hour so to play Call of Duty :) There have been several nights however where i have not been able to control the amount of games I play and I end up playing for an extra hour or two, or three, or four. This does not happen often though. Only when I play for more time than I expected do I find that gamin effects my sleep patterns, because it is essentially reducing the amount of sleep that a I get, which might also affect me for a night or two after. Oddly enough however, sometimes I find video games act as a nice relaxant and may actually make me tired before I go to bed. Maybe that is just me, but I find it as a nice way relax after a long day.

I don't consider myself to be an average child when it comes to this though because I am able to severly limit my technology usage in order to prepare for something or focus. Most kids in my opinion have lost the sustainabilty to focus on things for longer periods of time. "Back in the day" it was all about repetition until one learns somethings. Now it is not so much repetition, but short activities and hands-on learning that attempts to teach kids the lesson. I believe that Alan Eaton is 100% justified in saying that technology has led to a "balkanization of their focus and duration of stamina." Like Vishal says, its all about the instant gratification. Most kids are doing multiple things at one time and becuase they usually can't handle that capacity of information coming they have to limit the amount of information actually being able to be absorbed. They must be able to absorb the info in that instant and then either move onto the next tidbit of information or revert back into the technology. This only happens because most kids aren't able to determine how to compartmentalize things effectively and thus must take smaller pieces of info at a time, its a little sad. Makes me think of what the world will be like 50 years down the road if children have not learned to compartmentalize things and organize themselves effectively.

All in all, I think that technology should be readily available to students in school becuase it will be available to enrich the learning process. It's important that everyone should understand that technology in an educational sense is meant to enrich the lessons, not replace them. In my opinion, the best way to teach a child, and truly make sure that they understand, absorb and retain the information is to have an effective teacher that understands the child's needs. In some cases, that might simply be a computer screen, but in most cases, it is an involved teacher who actively seeks to help the kids understand and remember the lesson material. After all, money can buy all of the newest gadgets, gizmos and teaching software, but they mean nothing without a valuable  teacher to back them up.

No comments:

Post a Comment